Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Leftover Alphabet Stickers


I recently saw an idea for using up leftover alphabet stickers that I thought I'd try. The base is 12x12 chipboard, with a variety of stickers placed randomly on the surface. Then I brushed over a mixture of green & white paint, mixed with glazing medium. When that dried, I drybrushed black and gold on top. I've used it in a scrapbook page; I'll post that later this week.

While I was on a roll, I decided to do another one with a chipboard base. This time I didn't paint over the surface; I liked it as it was. I did brush over a coat of acrylic medium to seal the surface (I'm quite sure it wasn't acid free).


The last one I did was on a piece of lightweight cardstock. I used all black stickers for that one. I haven't decided how to use these last two just yet.

I have a few observations about this project.
(1) If you're going to do much work with stickers, especially smaller ones, tweezers are invaluable. I don't mean the kind used for eyebrows; this type of tweezer is made just for picking up small objects with adhesive on one side and placing them where you want them. Mine are called "Tweezer Bee".
(2) Unless you've got the patience of Job, avoid alphabet stickers with very small openings (as in the letters a,e,g...etc.). I found it very frustrating to try to get those little holes clear! Also, letters with very cute swirls and curlicues are a pain to get off the backing sheet without tearing.
(3) For the painted background, you really need stickers that are slightly raised. Some stickers are made to lie almost flush with the paper, and don't show up well under the paint.

Happy crafting!
Immi


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun ideas for leftover stickers! Thanks for sharing your great ideas with us less creative types!
Sooks