Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Collages

The inspiration for this collage came from the Jan/Feb 2006 issue of Somerset Studio (one of my favorite mixed media magazines). One of the articles featured Lynne Perrella's Paper Doll Assemblages. While mine is not as elaborate as hers (I don't have the patience for too much fussiness), I did enjoy trying something new.

The base is - you guessed it - an old book cover. For the background, I used some white mulberry paper (wonderful stuff!!) which I'd painted with pastel shades of watered down acrylic. I followed the instructions in the magazine to create the doll body. Then the fun part! I pulled out stuff from my stash to create her clothes, and found a head I liked from an old book illustrating clothing styles throughout the centuries.

The rest of the ephemera is old-looking stuff I had in my collection that I thought fit with the theme. I glued everything down, and that was that!

This collage was inspired by a book I have titled Paper Quilting. The background covering the base is tissue paper, painted with glazes once the glue had dried. The leaf shape I cut out of paper and hand stitched to the layer just underneath. Additional hand stitching is done on subsequent layers as well.
I added some old brown trim on the left, and a key sticker at the bottom. Very easy!
Happy creating,
Immi

No comments: