Thursday, September 4, 2008

Transparency ATC

Here are a couple of ATCs I did recently for a Transparency ATC swap. I had a choice of making 3 or 6 (depending on which number I'd like to receive). I decided to make two sets of three. I've had the good fortune to be given some transparencies that a teacher in our program had received with some books. He couldn't make use of them in his class, and knew I "made stuff" and thought I'd like to use them. I was able to get three ATCs from each of the transparencies I used.

The first one is made from a transparency showing a street scene. I don't know where or when the photo was made, but from the looks of it, it's showing the aftermath of war. The paper under the transparency is from one of the serendipity pages I did recently, in shades of pink.(http://experimentsincreativity.blogspot.com/2008/08/serendipity.html) I really like the way it shows subtly through the transparent photo. I fastened the transparency to the background with small eyelets. Transparencies create special challenges when it comes to adhering them to another surface - usually you don't want adhesive showing through!


The second ATc is from an art collage. Again, I'm not sure exactly what's being depicted here, although in one of the ATCs (not pictured here), there's part of a sign for the distance to Pretoria. This makes me think it may be related to South Africa, although it may be more generally about human rights struggles. Because this had a lot of strong color in it, I chose a plain background. I liked the way it looked over yellow. I hit on the idea of stitching it down, using a red metallic thread. I have a metal stitching guide, used for punching the holes ahead of time. Doing those holes before stitching really saves the day when hand-stitching! After that, I trimmed the edge of the yellow with deckle scissors and mounted everything on a black background.

Now all I have to do is get these in the mail; this swap is going to a central hostess, who will send them on to their destinations. I have no idea who will end up with them.

Happy creating!
Immi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I especially love the red stitching on the second one. I hope the ATCs you receive in return are as good as the ones you sent out!!
Sooks