Friday, April 18, 2008

There You Go

Okay, this has nothing to do with creativity, but it bugs me. I've been hearing the phrase "there you go" a lot lately. I hear it at the end of a sales transaction in all types of stores. The cashier has given me a pleasant greeting, enquiring solicitously about whether or not I found everything I was looking for. Usually I have, so I answer in the afirmative. The cashier finishes ringing up my purchase (I guess no one really does that any more; it's all scanned!) and I hand over my "money" aka plastic card. Or perhaps I scan the card myself. Either way, I sign my agreement to honor the transaction. My receipt is then handed to me or the cashier may ask whether I prefer it with me or in the bag. Sometimes the bag with my purchase is also handed to me; other times I'm left to pick it up myself. It's at this point that I oftentimes hear not, "thank you" or, "have a nice day" or even, "come again soon". Instead, as I'm being handed or am picking up my purchase prior to leaving, I'm sent off with, "there you go". This doesn't strike me as the best note for the last thing a customer hears before leaving the business. I don't know if this is something local or if it's more widespread. I suppose I'm an old fogey, but I do appreciate good customer service!

Rant over.

There you go!
Immi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to go to the store and see if the same thing happens down here, wanna go with? Maybe you can borrow me some bags so I don't have to get my own.
JK Love you!
SB